Bean Sprout & Cucumber Kimchi
This is a very light and tasty side dish that can double as your salad. I love it served alongside my Kimchi Soup as well as with Korean Ssambap (lettuce wraps filled with rice, seasoned beef or pork and ssamjang).
Hmmmm….Ssambap….I think I’m going to make some of that for dinner, now that I’ve made myself drool thinking about it!
Give my recipe a try…I think you’ll like it. 🙂
Click on the photos below to open up a larger version of the photo.
- 16oz mung bean sprouts
- 2 English cucumbers
- ½ teaspoon salt (for wilting the cucumbers)
- ½ teaspoon salt (for cooking the bean sprouts)
- ½ cup water (for cooking the bean sprouts)
- 2 tablespoons Dashida Korean beef flavored seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 5 stalks green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Korean ssamjang hot bean paste
- 1 tablespoon pepper flakes
- Cut the cucumbers in thirds or quarters, depending on how long it is. Cut each piece in half then remove any seeds.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers then cut the slices into very thin strips.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the cucumber slices. Place the cucumbers in a strainer or colander, then place the colander over a bowl. Let the cucumbers sit for about 5 minutes, allowing the water in the cucumbers to drain into the bowl.
- After the cucumbers have drained, squeeze out any excess water then place into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the bean sprouts in a mixing bowl that is microwave-safe. Rinse the bean sprouts in cold water then drain.
- Mix the remaining teaspoon of salt plus ½ cup water with the bean sprouts. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any excess water from the bean sprouts.
- Add the bean sprouts to the bowl of cucumbers. Add the green onions and garlic to the bowl.
- Add the sesame oil.
- Add the Dashida and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Mix in the Ssamjang and pepper flakes (omit this if you don't want it spicy).
- Stir to combine. Cover the mixture then refrigerate about 15 minutes before serving; this will allow the flavors to combine.
- Serve alongside your favorite dish and ENJOY!