Buñelos Aga (Banana Donuts)
This is a family favorite. Give it a try. I think you’ll like it. 😊
BUÑELOS AGA’ (BANANA DONUTS)
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Maple syrup for dipping cooked donuts
1. Place the oil in a large frying pan; turn the heat to medium to begin preheating the oil.
2. Mix all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. The batter will be sticky. Don’t be tempted to add more flour — it has the right amount of flour…the donuts won’t turn out oily or greasy, and they definitely won’t turn out dry. Adding too much flour will make them rubbery.
3. When oil is hot, drop the mixture by spoonful into the oil, turning frequently.
Note: When I make these, I use a small cookie scoop to get evenly sized donuts. The Chamorro method is to scoop up a little bit of batter in your hand, then squeeze out a dollop of batter between your thumb and pointer.
4. Deep fry over medium heat. Keep your stove settings on medium heat. If the oil is too hot, it will burn on the outside before the inside cooks. Cook until golden brown.
5. Serve with a side of maple syrup for dipping, or glaze all of the donuts with maple syrup.
6. Serve immediately and enjoy!