Fried Boston Cream Pie Donuts
One of my youngest daughter’s favorite desserts is Boston Cream Pie. She also loves, loves, loves donuts! Once, when she was about 2 years old, she went “missing” in the house. After looking high and low, I found her sitting at the dining table–her head barely peeked over the height of the table–with a Krispy Kreme donut in each hand and her cheeks stuffed full with as much donut as could fit! This recipe is one her favorites–who could blame her; it’s a fried, stuffed, chocolatey piece of heaven if you ask me!
I normally make my yeast donuts from scratch — mix flour, milk, egg, butter, sugar, yeast, etc. — but sometimes semi-homemade is just as delicious. These decadent donuts are perfect to whip up when you’re in the mood for a quick and easy dessert. They are superb for potlucks and bake sales too since they’re super easy to make!
Give my recipe a try. I think you’ll LOVE them. 🙂
This recipe makes 16 donuts.
- Fried “shortcut” Donuts (see below)
- Vanilla pudding filling (see directions below)
- Chocolate ganache (see recipe and directions below)
- 2 packages Pillsbury brand Homestyle Biscuits (contains 8 biscuits each)
- Oil, for frying
Make the donuts:
1. Separate the biscuits.
2. Fry each biscuit in hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan or the biscuits will stick together when you first drop them in the hot oil.
I was able to fit 4 biscuits in a pan at one time without them touching.
Flip the biscuits over periodically, to ensure even browning on both sides.
They’re almost ready! I want them just a little darker brown.
Remove the donuts from the oil and let them drain in a metal strainer/colander. Finish frying up the rest of the biscuits.
PUDDING FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large box (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
Make the pudding filling.
1. Place the milk in a small mixing bowl (or in this case, a large measuring cup).
2. Sprinkle the instant pudding mix over the milk. Whisk to combine, ensuring all the lumps dissolve.
3. Set the pudding aside to set while the donuts are cooling off.
FILL THE DONUTS:
1. Prepare a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. If you don’t have a pastry bag, don’t worry. Just use a ziplock bag with the tip cut off (cut off only enough for the tip to push through). Push the tip through the hole, then fill the bag with the prepared vanilla pudding.
2. Use a chopstick to create a space in each donut. Be careful not to split the donut in half or push the chopstick out the other side or the pudding filling will ooze out.
3. Place the prepared donuts on a plate, hole side up.
4. Fill each of the donuts. Do not over fill. Top with prepared Chocolate Ganache.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
Make the chocolate ganache:
1. Place the chocolate chips in a shallow microwave-safe bowl.
2. Add the sugar.
3. Add the heavy cream.
4. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir to combine. If the chocolate chips aren’t melted enough (the chips aren’t soft), microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
5. Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. The ganache pictured below is the consistency of a smooth frosting that is spreadable. Mix in two more tablespoons of heavy cream if you want your ganache thinner and almost pourable.
6. Place a dollop of chocolate ganache on top of a donut. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
7. Serve immediately and ENJOY!
♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Ta daaa!! ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yummm!!! Are you drooling yet???
Go on…take another bite!
These are absolutely DELICIOUS! What are you waiting for…go out and buy the ingredients and fry up a batch of these fabulous FRIED BOSTON CREAM PIE DONUTS! 🙂