Creamy Hot Cocoa
There is nothing better than drinking a mug of steaming, creamy hot cocoa, especially when the weather outside is dreary.
It hailed outside today, and my kids and I whipped up a quick batch of my homemade hot cocoa. I usually have all of these ingredients stocked up in my pantry — I use the white chocolate chips for cookies and making a white chocolate ganache for dipping strawberries, and I keep non-fat dry milk for when I bake bread. The next time you go grocery shopping, pick up these ingredients and make up a batch of homemade hot cocoa mix. You will never buy the packaged stuff again.
*Click on the thumbnails below to bring up a large photo.
- 1½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups non-fat dry milk
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- miniature marshmallows
- cocoa powder
- Place the white chocolate pieces in a food processor (a coffee grinder works well too). Pulse to grind the chips into a fine, almost powder-like consistency.
- Place the ground white chocolate in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Use a whisk to mix all the ingredients together.
- Heat a mug filled ¾ full with milk.
- Stir in ½ cup of the hot chocolate mix. Mix well.
- Add miniature marshmallows to the cup of hot chocolate.
- Scoop a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder and/or cinnamon on top of the whipped cream.